Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The Rangel Bunny

The Wall Street Journal is up to part five of "Responding to Rangel." It is like the energizer bunny - it just keeps going and going. I'm sure they could run the column on a daily basis and still not run out of things to print.

I'm thinking that the continuing presence of Rangel proves that the military is at least smarter than those people in his district - since they keep electing him.

Here is my reply.

Dear Charlie,

I say dear Charlie because you don't deserve the respect of a formal greeting.

I joined the military before I even graduated from high school. I didn’t want to go to college. I wanted to be in the military, I wanted to get out of my small town, I wanted to see the world, I wanted to fight for my country. I spent six years in the military and met my wife.

While I was in the military, everyone told me to get an education – meaning the officers that I worked with – the officers that needed advanced degrees to get commissioned. I earned most of my two bachelor’s degrees while I was active duty – a large part of that due to credit received from in-service courses and training.

I’ve worked hard and moved my way up in my field and now I’m a high priced computer consultant. My wife retired from active duty as an officer and is now at the top of the GS pay scale. I put one daughter through college and am working on the second. I wouldn’t call myself rich, but I’m certainly extremely comfortable.

I have the money and investments set aside to pay cash for all of her needs while she is in college. But, that daughter surprised me and joined the Army ROTC program. It appears that she’ll get a full scholarship for the rest of her education. She doesn’t need it, she wants it. She wants to serve her country. When she finishes with the military, she wants to be in Federal law enforcement so she can help fight the war on terror. She has a twin sister that is still deciding what she wants to do with her life. She’s making the same statements I made at her age – get out, see the world, serve her country.

Gee, Charlie, that’s two generations that joined the military for the purpose of serving their country – even if it involves fighting in a war. I’d say that you are the one that is not too bright. You’re the politician and we all know that politicians aren’t very bright. If they were, they would earn a living in a real job, rather than raping us taxpayers, taking bribes and having everything taken care of for them.

Yes, Charlie, you are the idiot in this mix – not my wife, daughters and me.

free web counters
Counter