Monday, December 04, 2006

Bolton Resigns from UN.

I'm not sure I care about this. Bolton hasn't been nearly as divisive as his critics suggested. He also hasn't been nearly as effective at pushing reform at the UN as his defenders have suggested. It seems to me that he's had a rather average stint as Ambassador to the UN.

He did manage to accomplish a few things, according to White House Deputy Press Secretary Dana Perino. Perino said that among Bolton's accomplishments, he assembled coalitions addressing North Korea's nuclear activity, Iran's uranium enrichment and reprocessing work and the violence in Darfur. She said he also made reform at the United Nations a top issue.

I guess all of that could be considered as accomplishments, but it seems like all he did was talk and engage. He didn't really shake the place up, although he had plenty of time to do so.

My personal view is that the UN is a relatively worthless debate society that doesn't have the guts or the political will to do anything useful. With a genocide in Darfur and an inability to agree on combating terrorism, they aren't of much use.

Because I view the UN as a relatively worthless organization, I can't really get excited one way or the other about John Bolton resigning. Good luck Ambassador, I hope you don't take to sniping as other former cabinet officials have.

free web counters
Counter